Friday, October 01, 2004

Sesame

Here I am sitting, in our office training room, fighting my drowsiness to death. The material delivered is very interesting, yet so complicated that no one in this room seems to be able to hold their eyes up for a minute.

The thing is called SESAME. Simple and Efficient Software for Analyzing Media Easily. It is Efficient alright. But it’s nowhere near Simple or Easy. We are supposed to master the software in 3 days time so that we can nail the presentations we will deliver sometime in the next two weeks. Roadshow it is. Ain’t no better way to describe it. This of course is a hasty and really important decision made due to the threatening competitor just around the corner. The issue is so vast that we are forced to provide the better than best service to our clients.

Well, I’d say it’s the curse or being the sole player in the industry. You can never be too careful because when the competitor comes, they will come with alliance and will push you to the brink of desperation.

Have we been too ignorant all these years? Or simply, have we been too complacent?

It got me thinking. Is the company just the same as human beings? When most of the time we don’t realize that there’s a threat, and sometimes we take things for granted? Is it not any better than common people who does not appreciate good companionship and only sulk when it’s gone? Or almost gone.

I learned it the hard way. Never underestimate the value of good friendship. I’ve lost mine more than I gained. I couldn’t turn back to where I was, or where we were, but there’s not a single moment when I don’t regret not being able to turn back the clock and not lose one of the most important people in my life simply by trying to please every one.

The plan today was to meet at Jamz, you know, just to be there for the sake of being a good friend. But no thanks to the brain draining training sessions, I couldn’t force myself to leave on time and meet as planned. My best friend was furious that I canceled at the last minute. But I was more furious with myself that I had let something less valuable get in the way.

But wait a minute. Sesame is not to blame. I am. I had let my ego be the cause of my best friend’s disappointment.

Ra, sorry for not being there for you when you really needed me. Sorry for taking our friendship for granted. Hope you’ll find a big enough space in there to forgive me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home