Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Door of Happiness Opens from Inside Out

“The door of happiness opens from inside out.”

That was the Table Topic question at the International Speech and Table Topic Contest, at Mets Club last night.



It got me thinking hard.

Now, when was the last time you feel really happy?

Some may say five minutes ago, last week, yesterday, or even right now.

I simply don’t know the answer to that.
I couldn’t even remember when was the last time I was feeling really really happy.
Really content.

I don’t know why I can’t remember.

I seem to be able to laugh out loud anytime anyone needs me to.
I can really recall the exact moment when I last burst out into really loud laugh (heck, I think the people at Playan can still vividly remember the last time I burst out, poor Coffee Bean people…).
But I can’t really remember when was the last time I was feeling so happy, like there’s nothing in this whole wide world that could ruin my mood. Or the last time I didn’t cry at all.

But why? I mean, isn’t people supposed to forget their troubles? Well, they should, when they’re happy, I think…

Now, hearing the question only got me thinking.
A said in his speech, “To a child, maybe what makes him/her happy is a lollypop. To someone maybe a raise or a huge bonus at end of year. To others maybe to build his own business.”

As he delivered the speech, I thought “What makes me happy then?”
There’s too many things in this world that I want to have, that I want to do, that I want to achieve, to be happy.

I want to be a good writer, have my works published and enjoyed by many.
I want to be married to the only one person I ever loved.
I want to take my masters degree, live, and raise my children overseas, far far away from here.
I want to be able to do the things that I love doing and be the rich and famous for it.
Etc…
Etc…
Etc…


But when I don’t have it (not yet at least…), will it hinder me from being happy? I know it shouldn’t.

I learned the hard way that the door of happiness is inside out. Meaning, I really can’t rely on others to make me happy. And instead, happiness is within yourself, and once you can start making others happy, you’ll be happier for ever more.

Now I know it’s hard, and it’s probably going to take me years to be content. But I know I gotta try to make it happen.

And by then, when people ask me “When was the last time you feel really happy?”, I will answer “Tomorrow”.
For by then, I will know that I won’t shed anymore tears. I will forever be grateful. By then, my door of happiness will be open wide.

And by then, I hope, I will be making someone I love happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home